An Edwardian postcard from the collection of Kerstin Fletcher showing, at the right, the Lion & Lamb public house at the junction of Fore Street and Angel Lane, across which stood the Old Angel Inn. The photograph below moves us slightly to the right to show the view up the lane with the Old Angel Inn opposite to the Lion & Lamb (with the lamp on its corner). The entrance to St Clements Church Lane is clearly signed on its wall. See our map of Fore Street pubs.
The building at the extreme right stands where Fore Street Baths is today. The baths were opened as shown on the brass plaque by the entrance:
‘THESE BATHS WERE ERECTED BY THE CORPORATION OF IPSWICH. THE SITE AND £1200 TOWARDS THE COST BEING THE GIFT OF FELIX THORNLEY COBBOLD ESQUIRE. SAMUEL RICHARD ANNESS MAYOR, T.W. COTMAN ARCHITECT, T. PARKINGTON & SONS BUILDERS. MARCH 1ST 1894.'
It is the second oldest operational swimming pool in the country.
See also Fore Street maps showing Listed buildings and Public houses.