Illustrations by ‘L.R.S.’ – Leonard Russell Squirrell (1893–1979). Source: Ipswich County Borough of Ipswich Official handbook 1965.
These fine line illustrations of the buildings at the corner of St Margarets Street and Northgate Street show the street scene in 1950 with two men carrying a grandfather clock into the large double gates in Old Foundry Road: that redbrick elevation was, for many years, the home of Cake Supreme (now in Tacket Street). Many will remember Green & Hatfield – in 1979 Mr Green was a neighbour of your Editor, who kept his car in the timber-built chaise-house next door – but also the more recent ‘Alexandria Hair Artistry’ on the corner.
The handbook in which the advertisement appears comments:
‘Well known all over the world for its antiques is the shop of GREEN AND HATFIELD, a business started in 1880. The shop itself, in Northgate, occupies historic ground for it is built over the actual ramparts and ditch of the town’s northern boundary.
Ever since Samuel Green opened his shop – then in Spring Road – the business has been noted for the range of products sold and to their variety and value to the connoisseur of historic and beautiful things. All manner of antiques are stocked but more especially old designs in fine china and glass and period furniture. Customers come here not only from all parts of this country but also from the U.S.A., Sweden, Denmark, Italy and the various Commonwealth lands. Long a family business Green and Hatfield intend giving their unique personal service in the years to come.’
In May 2018, after languishing unloved for years the timber-framed, Tudor-style buildings at 16-18 St Margarets Plain, once the Dolce Vita night club and Bar Fontaine, designed by local architect J.A. Sherman in 1936 (see also Croydons shop façade), plans were announced to convert them into thirteen apartments. The rear of the building is on Old Foundry Road, which will be renamed Foundry House. The developer and builder previously worked on the conversion of the former E. Brand & Sons store in Tacket Street into 17 apartments.