Most of its contents are truths that we recognise and most of the solutions will be provided by others. But it is a strategic plan so it does discuss where the town centre is weak and what changes should be made. Here are some of the key recommendations:
- The connection between the town centre and the Waterfront is tenuous.
- Consequently the current east-west axis should eventually be re- orientated to north-south.
- The shopping offer needs improvement. National chains find the empty shops incompatible with modem trading.
- The Westgate and Mint Quarter empty sites are zoned for retail but may never be developed for that use.
- A third site (EADT premises Turret Lane) is available for building offices, shops, etc.
- Develop Old Cattle Market into street of small shops with residential buildings in the area.
- Create one bus station eventually on Tacket Street car park to replace the two present ones.
- Redevelop Tower Ramparts shopping centre into the vacated bus station with appropriate modem shopping space.
- Construct better access across Star Lane to facilitate easy use of the north-south axis.