The firm of Mellonie and Goulder Ltd was registered in 1907, and may have had some connection with a Thomas Mellonie who traded as a coal and agricultural merchant in Ipswich between approximately 1879 and 1892, and had premises in other Essex and Suffolk Towns. Mellonie and Goulder Ltd expanded rapidly in its first 20 years of life, absorbing smaller companies, but went into voluntary liquidation in 1928. A new company was then promoted - Mellonie and Goulder (1928) Ltd - partly owned by William Cory and Son Ltd.
Mortgage by Mellonie and Goulder Ltd to Ipswich Permanent Building Society
(Reference:HC413/2/13): Mortgage of land and premises on the Quay and nos. 96 and 98 Fore Street, in the parish of St Clement, Ipswich, to secure £5,500 and interest.
The company is largely forgotten in the 21st century, but its offices occupied a handsome building with stone quoins and detailing which stood on the south side of the Wet Dock section of Fore Street facing the Salvation Army Men's Hostel.
The offices of Mellonie & Goulder Coal Merchants epitomises the changing times on Fore Street. Seen from an upper window of the new Salvation Army building, Lyndon House, which was built 1987-9, this remarkable photograph shows the surviving 14-foot high wall of Meux maltings to the left; it remained in place (hiding the Wet Dock from those travelling down Grimwade Street) until the building of the Bellway Flats (Neptune Square) in 2000. Note the panorama of an almost empty Wet Dock with timber loaded onto the Island quays. In the background, the three chimneys of Cliff Quay power station are just visible.
See also Fore Street maps showing Listed buildings and Public houses.