Selected stills from the black-and-white Anglia TV newsreel of the Queen's visit to Suffolk, 21 July 1961. Click for other stills from the day.
1. The Royal Yacht Britannia moored off Shotley Gate, as the royal launch brings the Queen to HMS Ganges jetty.
2. The 21 gun salute was fired from Alexandra Park as the royal retinue crossed the Borough boundary at Bourne Bridge.
3. Anticipation at Civic College, awaiting the Queen's arrival.
4. Trumpeters welcome the Queen to the college site. Note Birkin Haward's architectural detailing behind them.
5. The Mayor, Mrs Charlotte Green, conducts the Queen into Civic College.
6. H.M. the Queen's signature following the official opening ceremony.
7. The Queen is flanked by Sir Clavering Fison and Principal Frank Metcalfe.
8. Admiring the frontage of the Birkin Haward-designed building before departure.
9. A crowd waits for the royal retinue in Grimwade Street, opposite the parade of shops.
10. Arrival of the royal party at the Portman Road football ground, watched by the children.
11. 16 year-old schoolgirl, Catherine Dell, reads out her poem of welcome to the Queen.
12. An open-top Landrover takes the Queen on a circuit of the ground to be greeted by cheering crowds.
13. The Churchman's cigarette factory looms above the stand in the distance.